Friday, July 17, 2009

A Better John Daly

I like the John Daly in the bottom picture than than the one on the top.

John Daly on the top is drunk.
John Daly on the bottom is tied for 22nd at the British Open at the end of the 2nd round. He shot rounds of 68 & 72. More than good enough to keep him at Turnberry through the weekend.

This is a crazy Open. Tiger didn't een make the cut and a 59-year old, British Open legend is tied for the lead heading into Saturday's 3rd round. It's been an unpredictable British Open for sure.

It seems John has come a long way since he was taken into protective custody while publicly drunk at a NC Hooters in 2008. Since then he's served a six-month suspension on the PGA tour, had lap ban surgery and lost 80 lbs. He's also picked up a new sponsor of some wild golf apparel called "Loud Mouth Golf". It appears his legendary binge drinking is at least under control if not over. Remember, this is a guy who bragged about downing a bottle of Jack Daniels every day during his 23rd year of life.

John Daly has always drawn crowds at tournaments. He is a fan favorite. Probably because he's never pretended to be anything other than himself. John has readily admitted his flaws, among them: failed marriages, legendary gambling losses, loving booze more than major sponsor Callaway and the help of golf coaching great Butch Harmon. I think Daly is appealing because, like many of us, he came to golf without a silver spoon in his mouth and many of us can relate to his roots in Arkansas. However, prior to the John Daly on the bottom, the media, fans and fellow golfers were getting tired of watching a great golfer self-destruct.

I like this John Daly better. He reminds me of the guy who drove all night in 1991, to get to the PGA as an alternate in Indianpolis and shocked the golf world by winning. I hope he's clean and sober. I hope he's taking better care of himself for the sake of his three children. I hope he's finding some peace. At 43, his prime-time days on the PGA tour are pretty much gone. However, he can still put together competitive rounds and just may surprise some folks if he continues this seemingly better path.

I look at John Daly (I've blogged on John in the past) and I see a little of myself, a flawed individual from non-country club roots who simply loves the game. People who know Daly say he is a likable fellow with a very tender heart. For every one of us recovering sinners, I hope John finishes strong this weekend. I pray he finds peace from his demons and maybe even someone who can talk to him about the only One who is capable of providing peace for the long haul regardless of a person's past. That is indeed the 1st Step. Go John go, and if Tom Watson doesn't pull it out, I hope you can.

No comments: