Thursday, July 02, 2009

Happy Birthday America

Happy Birthday America!

We are indeed a blessed and beautiful nation. Despite our flaws and imperfections we live in a land of abundance and beauty. Our freedoms, resources, powers and privileges are among the greatest in the world. May they always be used to to help, nurture, empower, strengthen, free, and encourage the powerless, hungry, hurting, broken, weak, and disadvantaged. With blessing comes great responsibility.

I am proud to be an American. I love my country. You don't have to tell me how messed up we are in many areas of great concern. I am fully aware that we are far from perfect and we need to improve in many areas like government, healthcare, energy, education, the economy and poverty. Among my greatest disappointments is the decline of confessing, committed Christ-followers and the fact that we now receive more missionaries than we send overseas. However, despite our flaws, for me, the positives outweigh the negatives. Sure I'd like to visit some spots around the world, but I don't want to live anywhere else. I've been privileged to travel overseas several times and while I appreciate the lands where I've been, I am always grateful to return to America. This is my homeland, my country "tis of thee"!

So fly your flag, light some sparklers, watch fireworks, and celebrate our 233rd birthday with gratitude. Let us remember the brave men and women in uniform who serve to protect our freedoms and land. And those who have paid the greatest price both recent and times past. Let us give thanks for those courageous men who had a vision for something better, freer and more nobler than anything previously when they signed and fought for our Declaration of Independence. And for those who gather on Sunday, remember we come together to worship a God whose nations are many, but few are as blessed. Again, with blessing comes great responsibility. Happy Birthday America!



No comments: