Monday, July 06, 2009

Where's Your Fishing Hole?

I found a new fishing hole. It's a place where I can retreat from the rat race, cast a line, sit in a lawn chair, or fish along the bank and unplug from the world. As old fishermen say, "I'd tell you where it's located, but then I'd have to kill you." Actually, it's on a piece of undeveloped property owned by a friend so I'm legal. However, I'm not sharing it with too many people.

Everyone needs a fishing hole. Whether you fish or not, you need a place where you can disappear, unplug, check out, chill, recharge your batteries and recoup. It needs to be a place where you can reflect, but you don't have to think a lot. A place where little or no demands are placed on you. A place where you don't have to worry about perception, responsibilities and your "to do" list. It may be a favorite hiking trail, golf course, park, the beach, or a spot in the woods. When I'm at the fishing hole, I don't have to worry about much of anything except what the fish are doing, and if I'm honest about it, most of the time I'm not even concerned about the fish. If I catch fish it's a bonus. Just being out there clears the cobwebs of life. Runners know what I'm talking about.

Where and when do you unplug? Summer is a great time to find a fishing hole. So grab a Pepsi, a pack of nabs, your lawn chair and find a place to wet a line. It will be medicine for your soul. Make an intentional choice to choose a path of rest on a regular basis. You'll be glad you did. Follow the lead of the ancients and the prophet Jeremiah (6:16):

16Thus says the LORD:"Stand by the roads, and look,
and ask for the ancient paths,
where the good way is; and walk in it,
and find rest for your souls.



No comments: