Wednesday, July 29, 2009

"Thank-You" & "Excuse Me": Lost Words

I am convinced that the days of simple manners and common courtesies are over. A recent trip to Atlanta proved this to be true. More than once people bumped into me without saying "excuse me". Several times the same thing happened when a person crossed directly in front of me or my family. And I was incredulous when a man entered Starbucks behind me and actually had the audacity to physically step in front of me at the counter when I was the next person in line. Not only that, but he acted as though I wasn't there. Forget holding a door for someone and expecting them to say "thank you".

We are a self-centered and self-absorbed people. I know I'm painting with a broad brush. Yes, there are still people out there who are well mannered, practice social graces and common courtesies. However, the bulk of our culture seems to always be in a hurry, or absorbed with texting and talking on their cell phone at the exclusion of others. Most of us are so focused on meeting our own needs that we are indifferent to others.

It should not be unusual to us when people simply practice kindness and manners. It should be the norm in a civil society. Are the words, "please," "thank-you," "go ahead," and "excuse me," to hard to remember, or practice? Of course Christ-followers would like to think they practice these and other courtesies more than others. And we should: 7And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. ( 2 Peter 1:7) However, I'm reminded what a friend in the service industry said recently about working a Sunday shift: "I hate working Sunday's. All the 'church' people come in after their services and they are the rudest customers and they leave the poorest tips." This may be perception more than reality, but I have heard this more than once from people who serve "church people". Christ-followers should take the lead in practicing simple kindness and social graces.

Imagine the impact it would have if every person across America who attends a weekend worship services took the lead in tipping, holding doors, saying "thank-you" and letting someone go ahead who is waiting to get in a line of traffic? I know it's not a major evangelism campaign, but these simple actions by millions of people in our country would have a major impact. It might start a revolution and instead of criticism, it might earn an open door for future conversations and relationships to talk about Christ, and the difference He makes in our lives. We sow seeds with our actions as much, if not more than we do with words.

People are watching. Don't believe me? While waiting for my recent surgery at North Carolina Baptist Hospital, my adult son arrived and upon finding us in the surgery waiting area, planted a kiss on the cheek and shared a hug with his Mom and me before he did anything else. Minutes later an elderly woman who was leaving with her family made a point to come over and tell us how much she appreciated seeing a "younger" person practice such respect and courtesy. She said she hardly sees it anymore. Oh yeah, people are watching!

How can you practice simple courtesy today? It will stand out, I promise. People notice because it's not the norm. Try it, you'll have a lot of fun.

1 comment:

Jim Lamb said...

One of the pleasant experiences I had while teaching at Clemson was that students throughout campus were extremely polite and respectful. Granted that venue is a sheltered one to be sure, but the Clemson University student community is sort of a microcosm, mosaic if you wish. In the big cities one would be more likely to experience rude and disrespectful bodies. Bottomline, the brush you paint with is broad. If I believed the evening news, I would think that our culture is filled with rapists, murderers and thieves since that's what consumes the first 20 minutes of every news broadcast. But, as Paul Harvey did so many times, it is good that you remind us of these things -- as is the slogan of the United Way -- what matters.