Monday, October 10, 2011

50/50 or Hope?

I'm not sure there's a "right" way to battle cancer. Everyone with the disease and their caregivers has to learn what works for them in managing, coping and fighting the disease. Our family has learned that we can't do this without faith, a positive attitude and humor. We're not ignoring the disease and we certainly aren't in denial, we've just learned what works for us. We are realistic and we know this is serious, but we aren't pulling a Chicken Little running around crying, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

This weekend we saw the movie, "50/50". The comedy is based on the true story about a pair of 20-something's who've known each other since high school and one of them is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. Let me be clear. The movie is rated "R". The humor and language is at times very crude. If you're uptight about language don't go see it and don't think I'm making an endorsement for such language, or content. However, if you decide to go I'm asking you to dig beyond the language and go to the heart of the story. As the movie progresses a reality unfolds that I'm not sure you can fully appreciate unless you, or someone close to you has been engaged in the cancer fight.

I laughed and cried throughout the film because I have experienced many of the reactions and situations of the guy with cancer in the movie. From the "freeze frame" moment when you are told you have cancer by the doctor; to the outlandish things people who don't know what to say, or do, say to you; to the frustration of having your life consumed by a disease; to poignant moments that reveal the depth of the struggle to be positive and realistic despite the battle with side effects; and the tender moments when you realize that the love of family and friends is the most powerful earthly force in the cancer battle.

While I enjoyed the film there was one thing missing for me in terms of my personal fight with this disease. It was the absence of faith, or even more so, hope in God. The main character was able to pull through by sheer will, love of family, friends and humor. I'm not that strong! I wish I was, but if I'm going to be honest I have to admit that I've only made it this far because of my faith and relationship with Jesus Christ, and that's more a tribute to Him than me. I am deeply flawed and was BEFORE cancer. I would consider myself a fairly strong person, but I am too weak to battle this on my own. I need someone stronger to cling to. I need Jesus. I'm not picking apart the movie. I'm simply saying that I desperately need someone/something bigger than a good attitude, positive thinking, and sense of humor to face this disease. I need someone bigger than cancer itself to help me navigate the choppy emotional and physical waters of cancer. I need Jesus!

I guess 50/50 is decent odds without Christ, but we are ALL terminal. Life with Jesus not only extends the survival rate beyond death, but it provides hope in the middle of today's battle whether it's cancer, divorce, job loss, or something else. It's a hope rooted in unconditional love that extends beyond the grave:

35
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35-39)

No comments: